The only thing you can get our Dad to drink – besides the occasional glass of Pinot Noir – is vodka (I know…I’m working on him). He’s been known to knock back the champagne when duty calls (4th of July *cough, cough*), but vodka is his ride-or-die. And much like anyone who has enjoyed more than twenty-five years or so of legal drinking, he has a go-to cocktail he sticks to fiercer than you would an alibi. Sure, his tastes are a bit unorthodox compared to your standard male, – don’t even try gifting him a 6-pack of craft beer or a 30 year scotch – but it’s actually a convenient habit, as his family and friends always know exactly what to make him or order him at a bar. SUPER simple and to the point, with just the tiniest hint of tart sweetness, I give you… The SPJ.
Makes 1 Cocktail.
- 2 oz Really good vodka (We like Hangar One Straight Vodka or St. George Spirits new St. George Spirits All Purpose Vodka)
- 1.5 Oz. Good quality club soda (Can’t beat Fever Tree Soda Water)
- Splash or so of cranberry juice (If you can find an all-natural or no-sugar-added version, go for it, but cranberry juice cocktail works just fine)
- Generous wedge of lime
- In a DOF or other short glass filled with ice, combine vodka and soda and stir gently
- With a steady hand, splash a half ounce or so of cranberry juice over the soda
- Don’t stir. Viciously squeeze a wedge of lime on top, plop it in the glass and let the cranberry mix with the clear liquids gradually
- Serve to Dad & Enjoy!
Cheers to all the papa bears out there! Happy Father’s Day!